question about configuring or calling info

Mumit Khan khan@NanoTech.Wisc.EDU
Wed Feb 21 09:44:00 GMT 2001

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Charles Russell wrote:

> 1)  info g77 just gives me the man page for g77.  I can't get into the .info files. (I'm using Windows 98, cygwin downloaded yesterday.)

[ please use an email client that wraps line intelligently ]

When given a name to look up, info first looks for a "Directory" file in
/usr/info (that's the path built into Cygwin info, and changable via both
command line arg and with environment variable), and if it doesn't find
it, it starts looking for man pages. The info package itself should
install a minimal version of /usr/info/dir and then subsequent packages
should use install-info to add "itself" to it.

You can always bypass the "dir" file and look something up directly:

  $ info -f g77

To fix this issue:

  $ cd /usr/info
  $ for i in *.info texinfo; do
    install-info $i dir
    done
  [ ignore the various warnings ]
  $ info g77

This has been discussed in the past in the Cygwin mailing list, but I
don't know what the resolution was on the fix.

> 2) Where should I look for answers to this kind of question?  I tried the FAQ.

This is as good a place as any, but of course the assumption is that the
topic is not in the FAQ nor discussed in the mailing list (archives are
searchable, at least most of the time).

Regards,
Mumit