sh.exe: Command not found

Neil Bradley neil@synthcom.com
Wed Feb 21 18:57:00 GMT 2001

I'm using cygwin release version 1.1.8 with make version 3.79.1 and am
running in to a problem with make I can't figure out (Windows 2000 and
Windows 98).

When I invoke make (which spawns off other makefiles), it builds *ALL* C
files just fine. But when it hits my assembly files, I get this:

/cygdrive/d/work/utilities/gmake -f Boot\\boot.mak
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/d/work'
c:\\arm250\\bin\\tasm -proc ARM7TDMI -g -dwarf2 -apcs
/nointer/noswst/nofp/noreent -li -PD "BOOT_START EQU 0x01000000" -PD
"BOOT_DATA
EQU
0x00000060" Boot\\Standalone.s -o Boot\\Standalone.o
gmake[1]: sh.exe: Command not found
gmake[1]: *** [Boot\\Standalone.o] Error 127
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/d/work'
gmake: *** [Boot\\boot.lib] Error 2

I've narrowed it down to the -PD "" option on the command line. If I
remove it, it builds OK, but I have some assembly files that need these
equates, though, so getting rid of them isn't an option. I've also tried
\" instead but that just causes the ARM assembler to see it as \".
GGRRRRR! I've also tried:

* Moving sh.exe and cygwin1.dll to path
* Copying sh.exe and cygwin1.dll to the directory where make was invoked
* Setting SHELL= the explicit reference to sh.exe
* Setting MAKESHELL= the same way
* Setting the environment variables in Win2K and in Win98

Absolutely nothing works. What am I missing here that's so blatanly stupid
and obvious? Did I just blow over it in the manual somewhere?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

-->Neil