New symlinks.

Ehud Karni ehud@unix.simonwiesel.co.il
Tue Feb 27 07:30:00 GMT 2001

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:42:05 +1300 (NZDT),
    Danny Smith <danny_r_smith_2001@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:

> cgf said:
>
> > ...,but I'm not sure that we should ever expose the fact that a
> > symlink now has a .lnk extension to the user.
>
> Expose yourself to the user, unless you have dirty secrets that might
> offend.
>
> Or maybe: All animals are equal, except some animals are more equal
> than others.  Yes, that would qualify openness,wouldn't it?

Without going into sarcasm, I agree with Danny. I don't think we should
follow M$ footsteps and hide things (files, files extension and so on).
I even think the file should be shown with the .lnk extension in the ls
output (i.e. foo.lnk -> bar). If there is a need to show native W9x/ME
sym-links Vs. Cygwin links, the ls should show the native *.lnk as is
(i.e. native.lnk -> target) and the Cygwin sym-link with the lnk
exposed as optional, e.g. cygsym[.lnk] -> target.

As for cgf (rhetorical ?) question: All operation that relate to the
file DATA should work on the target (e.g. cat, piping to/from).
All operation that work on the file NAME should work on link proper
(e.g. rm, mv). When the link is not the BASENAME of a path it should
be substituted by its target (which must be a directory or another
sym-link). Problem may arise with program like cp (copy the content or
the name ?), I think the Linux behavior should be mimicked in this
case (copy content unless the -d [--no-dereference] is used).

Ehud.

--
 @@@@@@ @@@ @@@@@@ @    @   Ehud Karni  Simon & Wiesel  Insurance agency
     @    @      @  @@  @   Tel: +972-3-6212-757    Fax: +972-3-6292-544