First Cygwin Installation

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) lhall@rfk.com
Thu Jan 4 13:39:00 GMT 2001

At 04:19 PM 1/4/2001, David M. Karr wrote:

>   >> Will any version work as a first time install or
>   >> do I have to have something else ??
>
>   DJ> For a first-time install, go to http://cygwin.com/ and click on the
>   DJ> "Install Cygwin Now" icon.  The only choices you should have to make
>   DJ> are (0) that you want to install from the internet, (1) where to
>   DJ> install it on your machine, and (2) whether to use IE5, a direct
>   DJ> connection, or a proxy to access the internet.
>
>Note that the "Default text file type" might be important, depending
>on what you're using this for.  It will default to "Unix", as opposed
>to "DOS".  If you have non-cygwin programs that expect DOS line
>endings, and they might be reading files you would create while using
>Cygwin, then they might not work properly if you set it to "Unix".
>Just make sure you understand the choice.
>
>--
>David M. Karr     ; w:(425)487-8312     ; TCSI & Best Consulting
>dkarr@tcsi.com    ; Java/Unix/XML/C++/X ; BrainBench CJ12P (#12004)

An example list of applications that have some trouble reading files with
only UNIX line endings (newline only) include notepad, just about any old
DOS (and I mean DOS, not Windows) program, and VC++ if the file in question
will also be edited by the class wizard.  With the exception of the VC++
issue, which is rather obscure, there's a solution to each of the other
problems (i.e. replace them with programs that understand UNIX style line
endings - there's lots of good alternatives here).  Every other Windows
program I've used can read UNIX line endings just fine, because the underlying
Win32 API call for accessing files supports reading newline-only line endings.
I'm sure there are some other utility programs out there that still trip over
UNIX line endings too but in general, this is pretty rare.