#includes not being processed across network (revised)

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) lhall@rfk.com
Fri Jan 5 08:52:00 GMT 2001

At 11:39 AM 1/5/2001, Ray Easton wrote:
>"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" wrote:
>
> > Thanks Markus, this information is quite helpful.  Since there isn't an issue
> > with Samba, the Win32 APIs being used in Cygwin are clearly sufficient to
> > provide the information required (i.e. file sizes in this case) in a network
> > environment in general.  However, in this particular case in this particular
> > network environment, there may be an issue.  I would guess that there is
> > either a problem with permissions (which John has stated that he's looked at
> > before) or there is some other Win32 API that provides the file size even with
> > John's setup (which the DOS tools use and Cygwin does not).  What is clear to
> > me by all this is that the quickest way to resolve this issue is to debug the
> > code, for better or worse...
> >
> > Larry
>
>I've seen fstat() returning zero problems many times in many contexts (though *not*
>with cygwin) and in each case it has been due to bugs in the file server software --
>in which case debugging cygwin code will be useless.  The quickest way to resolve the
>issue is more likely simply to replace the file server software.

No argument here with regards to the quick solution proposed.  It appears
that Samba functions quite nicely so I expect converting to use that as the
file server is a quicker solution (with a more time-tested outcome).