Help installing under Cygwin/NT4

Gerrit P. Haase gerrit.haase@t-online.de
Fri Jan 5 14:07:00 GMT 2001

<5 Jan 2001, 13:53 Uhr wars, als Scott Hill folgendes schrub:>
< RE: Help installing under Cygwin/NT4 >

No, sorry, this problem i got no suggests for,
i made a CC to cygwin@cygwin.com, maybe you get answers there.

Look in the cygwin archives for this issue (and the docs).
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin

> Thanks! Moving head.exe out of /bin to /usr/local/bin worked to get libwww
> installed. Unfotunately, I'm having a further problem. I'm trying to use
> libwww to grab a page from an SSL server (I'm testing this with the sample
> code in lwpcook). This is working from Linux, but not Win32. I have
> installed the prerequsites: OpenSSL, Crypt::SSLeay, etc. Under Cygwin, I'm
> getting this error:
>
> ----
> administrator@SHILL ~/loadtester
> $ perl load2.pl
> Can't call method "request" on an undefined value at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/LWP/UserAgent.pm line 227.
> ----
>
> OpenSSL is installed in /usr/local/ssl as requested by Crypt::SSLeay and the
> install tests worked fine. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks again!
>
> --Scott
[...]
> <Den 4 Jan 2001, 17:31 Uhr, hat Scott Hill geschrieben:>
> < Help installing under Cygwin/NT4 >
>
> > I've been trying to get libwww installed under Perl 5.6.1 on Cygwin
> > (running on WinNT4 SP6a), with no success. It works as planned under
> > Linux. Hopefully someone here can help.
> [...]
> > Cannot forceunlink /usr/bin/HEAD: No such file or directory at
> > /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/cygwin/File/Find.pm line 5
> > 19
> > make: *** [pure_site_install] Error 255

> There is an case-sensitivity problem on cygwin, maybe the cause for this
> error.
>
> In cygwin dist, there is a tool included, called head.exe.
> Since there is no case-sensitivity on windows/cygwin, you can't call
> head.exe or HEAD. I installed perl in /usr/local/bin and changed my path,
> so that at first head.exe in /bin is called.
>
> DEVELOPER: maybe it is possible, to rename HEAD from libwww?
>
> Should be no problem with case-sensitive matching.
>
> Easiest would be, to build perl from source (Eric Fifers src for cygwin
> works
> very well), but to patch it, so that it installs in /usr/local
>
> (More easier is, to move head.exe out of /bin to /usr/local/bin)
>
> I will try to figure out, who to make cygwin case-sensitive.
>
> Look also here: http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2000-07/msg00119.html
> and read the follow-ups.

[fullquote trashed]

--