Porting Cygwin

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Sat Jan 6 09:43:00 GMT 2001

On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 12:33:39PM -0500, David Feustel wrote:
>I don't want to port the entire Cygwin Toolchain to Wince.  I just want
>to get the cygwin dll ported so that when calls are made to the cygwin
>functions from programs like M4 and VI, the EVT 3.0 linker will be able
>to resolve them.

I never assumed anything else.  If you could port Cygwin then the other
tools would work by definition.  The purpose of cygwin is to avoid the
necessity of "porting" programs like m4 and vi.  Porting Cygwin would be
the very hardest part.

>I also have no problem with using GCC, especially since it was recently
>pointed out to me that GCC generates (Strong)ARM code.  The main
>problem is getting GCC binary output into WinCE-usable form.  The EVT
>source language debugger is sufficiently handy to make it the preferred
>method of debugging until I see GCC doing at least as much.

There is actually a target for producing ARM code for Windows CE.
I don't know how much bit rot it has suffered.

You need to get the sources from CVS on sources.redhat.com and
gcc.gnu.org for this, though.

>I have Cygwin 1.0 on CDROM and I've downloaded latest using the setup
>program.

Cygwin 1.0 != cygwin available from the net.

>My problem is that I haven't been able to find a makefile for just the
>cygwin dll in amongst all the stuff that setup downloads.

Did you actually download the sources when you ran setup?  It sounds like
you didn't.

You'll also want to look at the FAQ and other resources available on the
cygwin site.

cgf