would appreciate help with anon-mmap replacement

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Wed Jan 10 07:01:00 GMT 2001

Zack Weinberg wrote:
Hi Zack,

More criticism than help I'm afraid.

> A solution inside cygwin would be a lot of work and wouldn't help
> people with older versions of the library.

This isn't a reason not to fix Cygwin.  People with older versions of
the library are encouraged to upgrade when complaining on this list.

> Therefore, I'm focusing on
> a solution inside GCC's support library, using VirtualAlloc()
> directly.

This approach causes everyone to have to figure out what to do and may
possibly break with newer versions of the runtime.  Please reconsider
where your patches should be applied and help with fixing the runtime
library.  Once it is fixed in the runtime then others don't have to
think about it.

Cheers,
Earnie.

P.S.: Sorry I can't be of help with your problem, it isn't in the realm
of my expertise and even if it were, currently the assignment forms
would get in the way.