[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: OpenSSH-2.3.0p1-1

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Wed Jan 10 08:36:00 GMT 2001

Well, I had hoped that the switch to pipes would fix the sftp problem
I've been having.  However, I discovered something new:

Starting the server in debug mode doesn't seem to provide any new
information (doesn't really report any errors, and exits, even though
the client is hung.  These results have been posted by me and others
several times; no need to repeat).  BUT, when I run the server using
srvany, and follow these steps.

1. start server from control panel->services
2. on linux, run sftp client (from ssh.com)
3. connect to cygwin-openssh
  ---> the authentication process is successful; I'm now at the sftp>
prompt
4. type ls
  ---> cliennt hangs
5. CTRL-C out of client.  It reports:
You have an active connection. Press again to terminate.
FATAL: Tried to destroy a FSM that has 2 thread(s) left
and exits.

Now, switching to server machine (AFTER the preceeding is completed)
6. ps shows:
  PID  PPID  PGID  WINPID  TTY   UID   COMMAND
  325   1    325    325    -1    500   /usr/sbin/sshd
  262  325   325    262    -1    500   /usr/sbin/sshd
7. kill 262
  --> I get two popup windows:
The first is titled "cat.exe -- Application Error" and says: The
instruction at 0x610045f4 referenced memory at 0x0000fa88.  The memory
could not be read.
The second one is titled "sftp-server.exe - Unable to Locate DLL" and
says "The dynamic link library cygwin1.dll could not be found in the
specified path" and shows a portion of the path.

This is really wierd, because my system environment settings set the
path to include "F:\cygwin\usr;F:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin".  sshd service
runs in the Administrator account, which does have the proper rights;
ssh connections work normally.  It's just sftp that dies.

I then copied cygwin1.dll into /usr/sbin (I know, bad idea; I was just
testing) and repeated the above process. I got the first popup (cat.exe)
but not the second.

Any ideas?

--Chuck