why am I administrator?

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) lhall@rfk.com
Wed Jan 10 13:49:00 GMT 2001

At 04:34 PM 1/10/2001, Dan Lipofsky wrote:

> > >USER is set in the /etc/profile function by issuing the `id -un`
> > >command.  The id command gets it's name from the associated uid in the
> > >/etc/passwd file.
> > >
> > >I can also guess that you are in the local administrator group and
> > >logged on as a domain user.  Upon setup a /etc/passwd file is created
> > >from the local sid.  You need to add your domain sid for your user
> > >account.
>
> > This seems to come up allot.  Maybe we need an FAQ for this?
>
>A FAQ would be great.  Obviously there are major
>passwd differences between cygwin and unix.
>
>I set up a line in /etc/passwd for dlipofsky with
>a made-up UID and GID.  This seems to work.

Actually, this surprises me.  I would've thought you would have wanted to
change the name of the user in the /etc/passwd file that matched the output
of "id -u".  This is what I have.  Of course, I made my /etc/passwd with
mkpasswd which makes understanding what needs to be change moot AFAICS.

>So what happened before I had this?  It sounds like it couldn't
>find dlipofsky so it just when with the default.  Is that it?

It uses whatever name is associated with the current user id.

>Also what are the strings that look like
>S-1-5-21-839522115-1060284298-1708537768-500

That's the Windows ID.  See the mail archives and the user documentation
on NTFS permissions for more info.