Pushing out Cygwin installations

Danko, Gary gary.danko@akamai.com
Thu Jan 11 12:56:00 GMT 2001

My solution is.
1) Install to a good system
2) Zip D:\Cygwin
3) Export registry keys to tex (.ini) files
4) Unzip to new computer's D: drive
5) Use REGINI.EXE to install the keys to the new system.

:)

Works like a charm.

-----Original Message-----
From: Earnie Boyd [ mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com ]
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2001 12:51 PM
To: Danko, Gary
Subject: Re: Pushing out Cygwin installations

"Danko, Gary" wrote:

> I couldn't find this anywhere in the archives. I want to install Cygwin
once
> and push it out to about 150 indentical servers. I tried copying the
> directory as well as the registry key to another server but that failed to
> give me the desired results.
>
> The NEW installation couldn't find "root" so that made me curious. Where
> does Cygwin store the information about the location of root?
>
> If I install Cygwin on one machine.. How could I copy that installation
> reliably to another machine?

This is so easy I don't know why one of the others didn't suggest it.
Once you've copied the installation, execute setup from an empty
directory and choose the "From local directory" option.  There'll be
nothing to install but the initial registry keys will be setup.

Let us know if this works as I'm just guessing based on what I remember
reading.

Cheers,
Earnie.