cygwin 1.1.7 and rsync transfer/corruption

John Pollock jpollock@curl.com
Thu Jan 11 15:27:00 GMT 2001

I've been doing builds ("make -j1 everything") using cygwin 1.1.7 and
noticed serious problems using rsync.  Here's the command i'm trying to run:

KAMLOOPS$ rsync -e 'ssh-batch -i /u/blah/.ssh/identity -l
blah' -a -v --cvs-exclude /u/jpollock/checkouts/curl-installer/tests/web/
kingpin:/home/httpsd/www-test-trusted.curl.com/htdocs/test/kamloops.97923289
1.168

and got the following output:

     building file list ... done

at which point the rsync process hung.  There's no evidence that anything
was copied successfully to the destination server (kingpin), although an
rsync process did fire up there.  I know that ssh is working on this windows
machine, since the make command right before this one successfully ssh'd to
kingpin and created a directory, but that command didn't make use of rsync,
and this one does.

So then i tried to rsync a different directory and got the following:

     building file list ... done
     photos/
     photos/ascension.jpg
     photos/bloom.jpg
     photos/broken-window.jpg
     photos/direction.jpg
     photos/gold-chapel.jpg
     unexpected EOF in read_timeout
     unexpected EOF in read_timeout

and nothing copied over.  Then i tried yet another directory:

     building file list ... ERROR: buffer overflow in receive_file_entry

And finally one more directory and got:

building file list ... done
pending/
pending/.nfs0002c38b0000550a
pending/invoke.sh
pending/perforce
pending/reboot-nt
pending/repeat-build.sh
Invalid file index -1140850688 in recv_files (count=6)

although on the 2nd try it worked.  On the 3rd and 4th try it didn't.  On
the 5th try it did.

Finally, frustrated enough to be desperate, i backgraded cygwin to 1.1.6-1
(just the cygwin package, not openssh or anything else).  And the rsync
problems disappeared completely.  Since backgrading, I've done rsyncs of
large and small directories without any hiccups whatsoever.  So i'm not sure
what's going on here.  I can send the contents of an strace of rsync to
someone if they think it would help them.

John