What does the "-5" mean in "bash-2.04-5"?

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Sun Jan 14 07:47:00 GMT 2001

Joe Pelkey wrote:

Hi Joe,

First to answer the question in the subject.  The -5 appended to the
package-version name is the port release number.  There have been
modifications to the package which are specific to Cygwin and there have
been 5 releases with varying modifications.

> P.S.  If those aren't the latest versions of libc's, could you tell me?

I don't know the answer to that question, but for Cygwin it doesn't
matter as Cygwin doesn't use those libraries.  It uses a library named
NEWLIB and is always current with the CVS version of NEWLIB.  In reality
for Cygwin libc == libcygwin.

Cheers,
Earnie.