rshd/rsh problem

Corinna Vinschen cygwin@cygwin.com
Mon Jan 29 12:14:00 GMT 2001

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 08:41:30AM -0800, Hayden Ridenour wrote:
> I've run into another snag with rshd.  When I rsh into my Win2K machine and
> run a local command, that works.  However, if I rsh into my Win2K machine
> to rsh back out to another machine, that generates the following message:
>
> rsh: shell/tcp: unknown service
>
> I first discovered this trying to launch rsync on the Win2K box but have
> reduced the test case to:
>
> # rsh win2k "rsh solaris1 date"
>
> All of these command work from a local bash shell on the Win2K box and from
> rlogin sessions.
> [...]

Sure. You started inetd from LocalSystem account. A non interactive rsh
has no chance to change user context since no password is given. So the
started subshell is running under LocalSystem account either.
Unfortunately, LocalSysterm has absolutely and unchangable _no_ chance
to create an outgoing network access.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.