Installing cygwin gcc using sources

Deepak Shekhar dipaktc@rediffmail.com
Tue Jul 3 06:34:00 GMT 2001

thanks for the information on "make bootstrap".
But i tried "make bootstrap" after the configure but still it gives an error at the same point.
Can u tell me the sequence odf commands i need to give??
Is the following sequence correct??

1)$../binutils-20010425-2/configure --enable-languages='c' --prefix=/home/deepak/exe -v
2)$make all (make bootstrap)
3)$make install
4)$../gcc-2.95.3-4/configure --enable-languages='c' --prefix=/home/deepak/exe -v
5)$make all (make bootstrap)
6)$make install

The cygwin on my machine is 6 months old. Do i need to install the latest version and give a try???

------------- Original Message --------------
"Tim Prince" <tprince@computer.org> wrote:
To:"Deepak Shekhar" <dipaktc@rediffmail.com>
From:"Tim Prince" <tprince@computer.org>
Date:Mon, 2 Jul 2001 05:57:38 -0700
Subject: Re: Re: RE: Installing cygwin gcc using sources

No, there isn't any separate documentation for cygwin.  The standard gcc
documents apply, although they don't cover the configure flags for
cygwin.  Yes, it may be possble to build the same or nearly the same
version without bootstrap, but it's obviously risky.  With bootstrap,
you rely only on the old gcc working without optimization, and you allow
gcc to self-configure, subject to the flags you set yourself on
configure.  You also get the advantage of the testing to see whether
your new compiler produces the same results when built with and without
optimization.

I assume that your keyword 'all' is ignored and doesn't cause any
problems.