Packing zsh with Cygwin

Andrej Borsenkow Andrej.Borsenkow@mow.siemens.ru
Wed Jul 4 04:01:00 GMT 2001

Someone expressed intention to maintain zsh on Cugwin several months ago. I
never heard anything since then.

zsh builds OOTB but it *does* have some Cygwin issues, notably

- windows paths handling is not transparent

- zsh makes *no* attempt to figure out binary/text open modes and relies on
Cygwin to do the correct thing. At least in one place (file mapping module,
zsh/mapfile) we may need to force binary. OTOH it makes mapped files differ
from read in.

- if zsh is provided as package we need (well, it is nice to have :-)
suitable startup files. One point is, that zsh completion has several
features targeted explicitly at Cygwin. E.g. with suitable configuration
/c/c/p/w will complete to /cygdrive/c/program\ files/winzip ... Also,
startup files should probably set case-insensitive completion as default.

-andrej