Can't run Mingw gcc from Cygwin

Moore, Paul Paul.Moore@atosorigin.com
Thu Jul 5 03:59:00 GMT 2001

I'm trying to run the Mingw gcc compiler from within Cygwin. My reason is to
use Cygwin/bash to run configure, but to build the packages using Mingw, so
that they have no Cygwin dependency at runtime - yes, I know about
-mno-cygwin, and that is an option, I guess, but I'd prefer to use the Mingw
compiler if possible - not least as it builds executables which use MSVCRT
rather than CRTDLL.

However, if I add my Mingw binaries directory to the front of PATH, via
    export PATH=//c/Applications/Mingw/bin:$PATH
and try to compile a trivial program, I get an error

$ gcc -o x.exe x.c
gcc.exe: installation problem, cannot exec `cpp0': No such file or directory

When I execute this command line from a CMD.EXE prompt, it works fine.

Obviously, I'm doing something wrong, but what? I installed cygwin from
setup and took all the defaults.

Thanks for any help,
Paul.