DJGPP & CygWin cohabitation

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab@bright.net
Sat Jul 7 21:14:00 GMT 2001

# I'm not familiar with DJGPP,

DJGPP is to honest-to-goodness DOS (i.e., pre-95) what cygwin
is to Windows 9x or NT.  More or less.  I'm sure the package
overlap is not exact, and I don't think things tend to compile
quite as OOTB with DJGPP as with cygwin (unless I've missed
some updates, which is very possible), but there you are, a
rough idea what DJGPP is.

# but it sounds like there may be some overlap in
# the programs each provides.

Definitely some overlap (though, I think, not nearly
100%).  Probably the piece of DJGPP in particular
that he wants to use (rather than the cygwin
equivalent) is gcc, since that way he can produce DOS
binaries.

# If so, whichever directory is earlier in the
# PATH environment variable will be executed.

And you can customise the PATH variable pretty much
however you like, within the limit on command line
size COMMAND.COM imposes.  You can even write BAT
files that change the PATH variable.  I usually have
my AUTOEXEC.BAT do a CALL FIXPATH.BAT so I can keep
my PATH management separate anyway -- you can have
more than one such BAT file, say, PATHDJ.BAT and
PATHCYG.BAT, to change the PATH back and forth at
will.

# I think the default /etc/profile adds /usr/local/bin
# and /bin to the front of PATH, so you should be able
# to use the Cygwin tools an any DJGPP tools that aren't
# in Cygwin from the bash prompt as well.

And of course you can customise this too.

--
Your font seems to be:    proportional     fixed
                                             ^

(Fontmeter only accurate for about 90% of fonts.)