Fwd: Re: CRON and time

Michael Schaap cygwin@mscha.com
Tue Jul 10 04:20:00 GMT 2001


>However, one thing is funny.  My test crontab had a command like "date >> 
>/tmp/hello.txt", and that behaves slightly different with this version of cron.
>When I run date from the cron-3.0.1-2 version, or when I run date from the 
>command line, I get output like:
>         Tue Jul 10 12:49:29  2001
>But when I run it with this freshly compiled cron, I get:
>         Tue Jul 10 12:49:00 T-1 2001
>I guess both are incorrect, from a UNIX point of view, and the second one 
>is actually a bit better than the first one...

I've figured out what happens.

Since the new cron copies the environment from the SYSTEM user, $PATH is 
set to the system path.  On my machine, that contains the Apple Webobjects 
executables before Cygwin, and therefore it ran the WebObjects version of 
date.exe.

If I specify /usr/bin/date as the command, or specify "PATH=/usr/bin" in 
the crontab, it works fine.

Perhaps something for cron.README?

  - Michael


--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/



More information about the Cygwin mailing list