setup.exe 2.78.2.3 local install problem; solution

John Daniel Doucette john.doucette@jjmackay.ca
Wed Jul 18 08:03:00 GMT 2001

Thanks Michael Chase!

I WAS using setup.exe to download the setup.ini and
packages.  However...  I had been maintaining a local directory of packages
so that other people can install from a local directory rather than
download all of the packages again over a slow modem.  I just keep a zipped
up copy of the local package on a network drive.  With the old setup.exe,
it was OK to delete the setup.ini, setup.log, and setup.log.full from the
local directory before zipping it up to distribute to other people.  The
old setup could tell that no packages were installed without refering to
the setup.ini.  With the new setup.exe, you cannot delete the setup.ini
(which I did!) that gets downloaded into the local directory.  I just ran
setup.exe again to get another copy of setup.ini and every thing works
fine.  I guess the rule of thumb is if you are maintaining a local copy of
the packages to save download time, do not delete any seemingly extra files
that setup.exe decides it wants to download!

At 2001_07_18 Wednesday 07:00 AM -07004, you wrote:
>You _really_ should use setup.exe to download setup.ini and the packages you
>are interested in.  The directory structure given in setup.ini is critical
>for setup.exe to properly find the eligible packages.
>
>David.
>   This is getting to be a FAQ.  The instructions given in
> http://cygwin.com/download.html seem to imply this is a reasonable way to
>download and install.  It would be better if the first method suggested was
>to let setup.exe do the downloading.  I wouldn't even mention manually
>downloading for normal installations.
>--
>Mac :})
>** I normally forward private questions to the appropriate mail list. **
>Give a hobbit a fish and he eats fish for a day.
>Give a hobbit a ring and he eats fish for an age.

===================================
John Daniel Doucette, Sr. Software Designer

J. J. MacKay Canada Limited
Halifax R & D Office
1046 Barrington Street, 1st Floor
Halifax, Nova Scotia