Untangling security - W2K on NT domain

Corinna Vinschen cygwin@cygwin.com
Sun Jul 22 01:10:00 GMT 2001

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 02:24:40AM -0700, Steve Jorgensen wrote:
> Scenario:
>
> Installed on a Windows 2K workstation and member of an NT 4 domain.
>
> Using an account on the domain added to Administrators group on
> workstation, but merely a regular user on the domain.
>

> Problem:
>
> In the groups file, 513 is "None".  I thought that was only supposed to
> happen on a workgroup system.

On set `mkpasswd' is only called with -l option. Call it again
using the -d option.

> Untarring files with tar -xvzf fails miserably (as same user as described
> above).  Permissions are set wrong on new directories, and extract fails on
> files destined for those directories because of inadequate permissions.
>
> It would seem that I need to fix my /etc/passwd and/or /etc/group files,
> but I don't understand them well enough to know what to do.  What do I need
> to do here

Call mkpasswd and mkgroup without options. That should give you a clue.
And calling them with options isn't dangerous at all since they both
write to stdout. A little disposition to play is very helpful sometimes.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.