Mailing list etiquette [Was: Re: SETUP WIZARD FOR CYGWIN?XFREE86]

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Tue Jul 24 11:32:00 GMT 2001

Bobby:
1) Why was your message quoted below part of the "SETUP WIZARD FOR
CYGWIN?XFREE86" thread? What does it have to do with anything that had
been discussed in that thread previously? If you wanted to post this
message to the list, it should have been a NEW message with a NEW
subject heading.  I note that this is a common practice for you, Bobby
-- you often reply to an ongoing thread with a new topic.  *Don't do
that*.  New topic == New subject line, new thread.

If you really want to tie it to the previous thread, you can use the
Was: modifier like I did in this message.

#2) Why was your message directed to egor? ("egor, I'm final...") Is it
part of an ongoing private conversation you've been having with him?  If
so, then it should have been a private email.  If not, is there some
context that makes a mingw port of CSound particularly interesting to
egor, yet requires that the message be public?

For instance, I addressed this email to you, Bobby, because the context
is: I am commenting directly on the content of YOUR earlier message.  I
don't see how your message (again, as quoted below) directly relates to
egor's prior posting; therefore it shouldn't have been addressed to him
AFAICT.  Furthermore, I posted this message to the public list, rather
than sending privately, because I feel that a public discussion of
mailing list etiquette as expected on cygwin@ may be useful.

#3) I kind of doubt that your message, as quoted below, was of interest
to the list, since the message concerns a port of CSound to Win32, using
the mingw compiler -- not cygwin.

Perhaps you should have announced your Csound port on the mingw mailing
list?

--Chuck