Degrading tty behaviour

Corinna Vinschen cygwin@cygwin.com
Wed Jul 25 01:16:00 GMT 2001

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 03:28:42PM -0700, Andy Piper wrote:

> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>  > Unfortunately your mail sounds just like ranting without providing
>  > any detail, so I will trash it.
>
> Why do you assume this? What was it about my mail that made you think this?
> I would genuinely like to know. The posting certainly wasn't meant as a
> rant and its this sort of repsonse that makes it difficult to work with the
> cygwin developers.

Quote: "The behaviour of apps under CYGWIN=tty appears to be bitrotting
        (for instance try using the current vi and cygwin with this
	setting - its totally impossible)"

What exactly at this sentence gives me (or any other active cygwin
developer) any detail to work with?

"It doesn't work" will not give you any helpful response on any
mailing list, especially when combined with snide comments.

>  > I'm using vim-5.8 all day long and I'm using CYGWIN=tty setting from
>  > a ssh connection to the NT box. I have also just tried it with CYGWIN=tty
>  > from a cmd window. Works for me (except from mutt which I can reproduce).
>
> And I cannot use vim-5.8 because of this problem. Removing tty from my
> CYGWIN environment fixes it - which seems pretty compelling evidence to me.

Fine. What next? I told you I can't reproduce that. That's still true.
What details can you provide except for "it doesn't work". What exactly
doesn't work? You didn't even mention that!

The next sentence in your mail begins with: "C-c behaviour is also broken..."
So your first sentence is not related to a non-functional C-c. So what
is it what doesn't work?

> This is true on both NT and W2K. Note that it *does* work from a cmd
> window, it *doesn't* work from a cygwin bash window. Surely using a ssh
> connection to the NT box is not a reasonable test given that it is
> shell/window dependant?
>
> What more details would you like to see? Did you try C-c'ing a java process
> from within bash also?

I have not the faintest idea about java. So the answer is no, I never
started any java application from a Cygwin shell nor from cmd.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.