Understanding Cygwin /etc/passwd and /etc/group on W98

Steve Jorgensen jorgens@coho.net
Fri Jul 27 10:30:00 GMT 2001

I'm the only person with access to the machine, and I am fairly certain I
have never run mkpasswd at all on that machine - even to the console.  I've
only had reason to think of doing this on my W2K box.

I must entertain the possibility, though, that I did this at some point
while erroneously following some direction or other before I understood
what these files were for.  I guess, just file this under "fluke" unless
someone else reports the same strangeness.