Augmenting cygwin woes

Jeff Waller jeffw@141monkeys.org
Fri Jun 1 14:32:00 GMT 2001

A friend and I have implemented recvmsg and sendmsg;
naive, broken version (no passing of fd's yet).  I tried
to get in touch with the guy that is supposed to be
doing it, but go no reply.  Cygwin successfully compiles
(as per dated instructions in the FAQ).  I ran
configure in the obj directory (see FAQ) as follows:

configure --prefix=/cygdrive/d/cg132install-2

now I understand now that this is misnamed and
should be more properly

configure --prefix=/cygdrive/d/cg133install

but as long as the directories are different,
things are ok, right? (see below)

The result of the compile seems only enough
to run setup in the install directory, and
so we did.  That seems to work properly as
well.  However, there are now 3 cygwin1.dlls

One in the old directory:

/cygdrive/d/cygwin132-1/bin/cygwin1.dll

one in the install directory:

/cygdrive/d/cg132install-2/bin/cygwin1.dll

and one in the new directory:

/cygdrive/d/cygwin132-2/bin/cygwin1.dll

The new cygwin seems to run as expected, but
the old cygwin is broken.  When started, bash
complains that a different verion of cygwin1.dll
was detected.

How does it know about the new version????

First problem then:

I *want* 2 **incompatible** versions of cygwin1.dll
installed on my machine.

The first one should be accociated with the
cygwin install rooted at d:\cygwin132-1,
and the second should be at d:\cygwin132-2
(though it should be called d:\cygwin133-1).
The first install is to do development of
cygwin for the second one; I certainly don't
want to corrupt by mistake the first install.

How to I get them not to interfere with
each other?

Second problem:

Apparently, more than modification of cygwin1.dll
is required to get the new entry points
avaliable.  As the program we're porting still fails
to link (though this might be a matter of recompilation).
We have modified net.cc,cygwin.din, and autoload.cc.  Is
there something we're missing?

-Jeff