[avail for test] readline-4.2-1

Robert Collins robert.collins@itdomain.com.au
Sat Jun 2 23:13:00 GMT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles S. Wilson" <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu>
To: <cygwin@sources.redhat.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 03, 2001 4:03 PM
Subject: [avail for test] readline-4.2-1

> I've just uploaded readline-4.2-1 as a test release.  Readline is a
> library that provides user-input functions complete with history
> functions and line-editing capabilities.
>
> readline-4.2-1 depends on ncurses-5.2-5.
>
> WARNING: Chet Ramey, the maintainer of the GNU readline package, has
> changed the readline API between version 4.1 and 4.2.  Some functions
SNIP
> Therefore, the DLL version in this package is "4.2" instead of "4".
> That way, binaries that depend on the old dll (like postgresql) can
> coexist with the new package.
>
> HOWEVER!!! Setup will *uninstall* the old dll when upgrading readline.
SNIP

I think this is the first time this has occured with the new setup.

If I can make a suggestion: would it make sense to have 2 readline
packages, one with the old binary, and one with the new binary? If the
headers collide, then that might not be trivial, but you could make the
old readline package be libraries only.

Other projects/platforms do this quite routinely when a package breaks
backward compatability, keeping both in production until no packages
need the old binary.

Rob