library supports on Cygwin - Xerces-C

Nishant Sharma nishant@vigorsoft.com
Wed Jun 20 21:50:00 GMT 2001

Hi Everybody,

Some light on the following question is highly appreciated.
Those ready to lend a helping hand, please raise your hands... :-)

Does Cygwin have shared library support?
If yes, where can I get the information on using a shared library in Cygwin?

To be more precise, can I use shared library ".so" binary file available for
Linux directly on Cygwin?
(or Linux ".a" to be used in Cygwin directly)
If not, can I convert ".so" to ".a" (shared library to static library)?

My aim is to use Xerces-C on Cygwin whose build is not working on Cygwin.
And I am afraid that even if it works out, it would be generating a shared
library.

I am using:
Cygwin 1.3.2
Xerces-C 1.5.0

Hope I could explain my problem. Did anybody had a similar problem in past?
Thanks in advance for any tips / solutions.

Regards,
Nishant Sharma

Problem with Xerces-C build

$ ./configure
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
checking for c++... (cached) c++
checking whether the C++ compiler (c++  ) works... yes
checking whether the C++ compiler (c++  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C++... (cached) yes
checking whether c++ accepts -g... (cached) yes
checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/install -c
checking for autoconf... (cached) autoconf
checking for floor in -lm... (cached) yes
checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) gcc -E
checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
checking for XMLByte... (cached) no
checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating util/Makefile
creating util/Transcoders/ICU/Makefile
creating util/Transcoders/Iconv/Makefile
creating util/Transcoders/Iconv390/Makefile
creating util/Transcoders/Iconv400/Makefile
creating util/Transcoders/MacOSUnicodeConverter/Makefile
creating util/Platforms/Makefile
creating util/Platforms/Solaris/Makefile
creating util/Platforms/AIX/Makefile
creating util/Platforms/Linux/Makefile
creating util/Platforms/HPUX/Makefile
creating util/Platforms/OS390/Makefile
creating util/Platforms/OS400/Makefile
creating util/Platforms/IRIX/Makefile
creating util/Platforms/PTX/Makefile
creating util/Platforms/UnixWare/Makefile
creating util/Platforms/Tru64/Makefile
creating util/Platforms/MacOS/Makefile
creating util/Compilers/Makefile
creating util/MsgLoaders/InMemory/Makefile
creating util/MsgLoaders/ICU/Makefile
creating util/MsgLoaders/MsgCatalog/Makefile
creating util/MsgLoaders/MsgFile/Makefile
creating util/NetAccessors/Socket/Makefile
creating util/NetAccessors/libWWW/Makefile
creating util/NetAccessors/MacOSURLAccess/Makefile
creating util/regx/Makefile
creating validators/Makefile
creating validators/common/Makefile
creating validators/datatype/Makefile
creating validators/DTD/Makefile
creating validators/schema/Makefile
creating framework/Makefile
creating dom/Makefile
creating idom/Makefile
creating parsers/Makefile
creating internal/Makefile
creating sax/Makefile
creating sax2/Makefile
creating ../obj/Makefile

Having build problems? Read instructions at
http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/build
.html
Still cannot resolve it? Find out if someone else had the same problem
before.
Go to http://xml-archive.webweaving.org/xml-archive-xerces/