`less' broken on my Win98r2

Soren Andersen soren@wonderstorm.com
Sat Jun 23 03:17:00 GMT 2001

Michael A. Chase <mchase@ix.netcom.com>
wrote Re: `less' broken on my Win98r2:

> I use less constantly and have not noticed that problem.  Perhaps if you
> send an example of one of you command lines that shows the problem someone
> could try to reproduce the problem.

uhh ... for example, `ls -l | less' ?? -- this really isn't "that kind" of
problem.
For one thing, there are apps like `perldoc' that pipe through less, I have
no control (do I ??) over how that happens.

> It sounds like less is misunderstanding your screen size.  What do you get
> for 'stty -a'?  How do you start your Cygwin environment?

I guess that this is what you mean you wanted to see:
$ stty -a
speed 38400 baud; rows 45; columns 98; line = 0;

Looks sane to me, little that I know, but.

I start Cygwin from a cygwin.bat that contains the standard (default)
invocation: 'bash --login -i'.

There's a detail which at that late hour I forgot to mention, and it is most
likely the most relevant one. I described that I am talking about a Win98r2
system, but I omitted to say that I (in my bash console) am using
"consize.exe" (the console scroll-maker for Win9x from Chuck Wilson's
CygUtils site). Thus perhaps there is an interaction between `con(re)size'
and `less'.

In the meantime I have downloaded a `less.exe' build from
http://www.greenwoodsoftware.com/less/download.html
and it seems to work.

Maybe this is worth a look? I don't think there is any more information I
can provide than  I have, however.

  Thanks all,
    Soren