two problems with cygwin's zip

John Wiersba John.Wiersba@medstat.com
Tue Jun 26 11:10:00 GMT 2001

My version of zip seems to remove leading / in the archive?  Yours doesn't?

$ /usr/bin/zip ./asdf.zip /bin/ls.exe
  adding: bin/ls.exe (deflated 53%)               <= note: no leading /

>   it seems pretty disturbing to me that a unix emulation environment
> running under ms-windows would have many problems parsing
> ms-dos paths.

I agree with the previous responses about this.  Cygwin's job is not to port
every tool to handle Windows pathnames natively, but to allow unix tools to
function in a unix-like way under Windows.

What about using cygpath to convert the paths before passing them to zip?

-- John Wiersba