Cygwin: Interoperability Is Important (was Cygwin: Open or Closed System, etc)

Fred T. Hamster fred@gruntose.com
Tue Jun 26 21:57:00 GMT 2001

Robert Collins wrote:

>I'm not agreeing or disagreeing about the design goal. I simply want to
>make a very small but important point... "cygwin" that is the
>cygwin1.dll has full support for ms dos or more accurately win32
>pathnames. Call fstat(), or fopen() or ... and give it a ms dos
>pathname. If there is a real file with that msdos pathname the call will
>behave as you would expect it to.
>Finito. Done. No problems. Possibly minor tweaks needed for performance or bugfixing.

i agree, on specific file names without wildcards, there are usually no
problems unless one is foolish enough to provide the wrong case for
characters in the name.  however, it still seems to me that wildcards
are an important topic in parsing pathnames.  that is where i see some
possibilities for improvement that would make the usage of cygwin a bit
more seamless with ms-windows apps.

>$ echo "c" > "foo"
>$ echo "a" >  "foo:1"
>$ echo "b" > "foo:2"
> now cat foo - it will still be "c". cat foo:1 and get "a".

that is really freaky.  thanks for the explanation.  so, if one were to
interpret a situation where the "second character is a colon" as meaning
"that the colon is always a drive letter", then that would be incorrect
for the set of filenames that are exactly one letter long, providing
that one wanted to set up streams on those filenames.  i'm certainly not
inclined towards asking for that kind of support to be added to cygwin,
although it does appear to be part of win32.  even some win32 programs
have issues with it though; when i tried "type foo:2", i got a complaint
that "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is
incorrect."  so microsoft's api is incompletely applied within their
distributed toolset.  for some reason, i am not surprised at that.
thanks,
fred.

--
_____ chosen by the Nechung Oracle Program [ http://www.gruntose.com/ ] _____

WANTED: Meaningful overnight relationship.

_____________ not necessarily my opinions, not necessarily not. _____________