"shouted down", "shot down", apologies

Brian Keener bkeener@thesoftwaresource.com
Wed Jun 27 17:32:00 GMT 2001

John Wiersba wrote:
> As Brian Keener implied in his email, I don't really want to spend a huge
> amount of time just getting setup to successfully build the source, before I
> can even start to contribute.  I routinely build perl and quite a few GNU
> packages on AIX, SunOS, HP/UX and linux, but all of them build relatively
> cleanly out-of-the-box with only minor tweaking.

I think part of this is as Chris stated - maybe I over mystified some of the
problems I had/have and the step involved in being a contributor or maybe it
was/is my total lack of C++ programming on any platform and cygwin knowledge
before getting started.  As a total newcomer to C++ that found Cygwin very
appealing and not having worked with anything using a make or a makefile since
a little bit of C work - getting started on Cygwin was a challenge.  I guess I
just bit off too much to start with - I was interested and I looked at the code
and thought I could work with it and make some contributions - so I did, but
coming from nothing it was tough and in some case I do but I still do not
understand.  At any rate - from what it sounds like your knowledge level is -
you will have no problems.

Also as Chris pointed out in his response to me - once it is configured
properly then there is really no need for the gyrations and the reconfiguring I
seem to go through and as well as we all say - being on Win95 for me does not
help.  I don't think I am there yet as far as setup properly but I do get
closer all the time.

> Version of cygwin:
>    1) Download all source for all cygwin packages using setup.exe
>    2) Install all source
>    3) Run some master script to loop through all the source packages and
> build them binary-image packages
>    4) Install the binary-image packages into a test directory
>    5) Exit all cygwin processes
>    6) Run a version of cygwin.bat which points to the test directory to test
> it out.
You really need a step (.5) here - in order to build the cygwin and the other
sources you have to have installed the binaries for cygwin and some of the
other packages first.  This is probably understood but I thought I would point
it out.

bk