cvs via Cygwin (W98) to FAT to Linux - permissions

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Wed Jun 27 20:38:00 GMT 2001

Steve,

OK. Moving on from a shoot-from-the-hip suggestion, I checked out the CVS
manual (and old one, admittedly--version 1.9).

According to section 4.2.2, pg. 16, files in the working copy of the
repository have permissions "typical for newly created files, except that
sometimes CVS creates them read-only."

I take this to mean that the CVS command creates the files with mode 0666
(or 0444 in the read-only case) and that the prevailing umask value is used
to pare them down from there.

Thus, it seems you really have very little to do, in fact. The files are
either (0666& ~umask) or (0444 & ~umask).

For a FAT file system volume, then, the only distinction is whether or not
the read-only attribute is set.

I don't know the details, but probably cygwin1.dll already handles this?

Randall