Patch for zip to deal with dos paths

Michael Schaap cygwin@mscha.com
Thu Jun 28 02:12:00 GMT 2001

At 05:09 28-6-2001, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
># For what it's worth.  Here's a patch to zip that fixes
>[...]
># Of course, this breaks the feature of using NTFS streams with a single
># character file name.  ;-)
>
>Would it be possible to have a command-line switch to select
>which behavior is desired?  Of course, that leaves the issue
>of which should be the default.

Note the smiley.  ;-)

I wouldn't bother fixing it at all.  If anyone is stupid enough to use a
single character file name with streams (e.g. "c:1", they'll have so many
problems, they won't even get around to zipping it.  (Most native Windows
and cygwin apps will get confused.)
(Has anyone in the world *ever* used NTFS streams seriously, I wonder...)

  - Michael

PS: I guess I was naive in hoping that this patch would end all discussions. :-)