New symlinks.

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Fri Mar 2 04:23:00 GMT 2001

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 09:51:19PM -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >John Paulson wrote:
> >>
> >> $ cat `type -p gcc` | wc
> >> cat: /usr/bin/gcc: No such file or directory
> >>        0       0       0
> >>
> >> -- Hmmm... A user might think something broke.  I have not done a search
> >>     of the archives to determine how often this asymmetry has been noted
> >>     by users.  I don't recall having seen this mentioned in the year or so
> >>     I've been subscribed, but then most of neurons have been fried by MFC...
> >>

> >If you really want to review the negative chatter about this you should
> >visit the autoconf@gnu.org archives.
>
> Yeah, it is sort of embarrassing that Cygwin works this way, IMO.
>
> Maybe we should just make foo.exe always == foo if foo does not exist.
> Right now this is only the case for the stat() call.

I know the PROs for doing this.  I can't think of any CONs.  It would
help autoconf only where Cygwin is concerned though, most of the work
would still have to be done for other Win32 targets.  One of the big
headaches currently is the fact that foo.exe and foo/ can exist in the
same directory.  With this foo/ wins the test and makes foo.exe appear
not to exist.  If we could handle this so that foo.exe wins the test it
would really make autoconf happy and may cause the support for other
win32 targets to be put on hold.

> cgf
> (Wow, I don't remember this subject being discussed since 1998 or so...)

Possibly even 1997.  B18 came out in 1997 and was the first version to
create .exe files by default.  It is also the version I first used.

Earnie.

P.S.: I found Cygwin because I was looking for a free C compiler for
Windows.