cygwin / ssh / emacs term type issue

Ehud Karni ehud@unix.simonwiesel.co.il
Fri Mar 9 04:14:00 GMT 2001

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001 17:27:42 -0800 , Todd Wells <toddw@wrq.com> wrote:

> I'm getting a lot further now, but I've having some new problems:  ctl-space
> is interpreted as "space" instead of set mark.  Backspace is the "help"
> character.  Ctl-y is set mark, not yank.  When I M-x yank it tells me C-y
> can be used for yank.  Does this mean I need to add some of the NT-faq
> recommended stuff to my .emacs on the remote machines?  Will that adversely
> impact my running emacs on those machines when I'm not routing through
> cygwin?

1. Ctl-space (and Shft-space and Ctl-Shft-space) all produce space.
   (Control-space is not an ASCII character - it can't be sent by an
   ASCII terminal, BUT shift space SHOULD produce 0xA0 - 160 decimal).

2. The Backspace key sends ^H (0x08) which is correct, and is defined
   by Emacs to produce help. You can change its effect by adding:
     (define-key  global-map  "\010"  'backward-delete-char-untabify)

3. Ctl-y sends ^Y (0x19, 25 decimal) which is the right key and has the
   right definition in Emacs. May be you have changed its binding ?

4. You can't simply copy your NT .emcas and hope it works, NTemacs is
   using the PC keyboard like X windows (all 256 key values + all the
   modifiers) while Cygwin uses crippled keyboard (It won't transmit
   keys with code > 127, It translate the Alt [meta] to escape).

   You can use rxvt on the PC which uses the M$ Windows keyboard input
   so it support national keyboards.

If you want to work remotely with full keyboard I recommend to use VNC.
It is more complicated to setup, but it gives better results and some
other advantages. VNC homepage - http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

>From my experience, Emacs on VNC on linux tunneled thru Cygwin SSH with
dial-up line works satisfactory well (this email is done this way).

Ehud.

--
 @@@@@@ @@@ @@@@@@ @    @   Ehud Karni  Simon & Wiesel  Insurance agency
     @    @      @  @@  @   Tel: +972-3-6212-757    Fax: +972-3-6292-544