'net start' command trough a telnet session

J. J. Farrell jjf@bcs.org.uk
Tue Mar 13 15:06:00 GMT 2001

Is it just me who's getting confused here?

Morad Kalkoul reported this problem at 13 Mar 2001 12:12:42 +0100

> Why when I'm in telnet session command like ipconfig displays a result, and
> the command like net start displays nothing only the next prompt.

Egor Duda supplied a patch to fix the problem at 13 Mar 2001 16:16:34 +0300

> the  following simple patch to inetd solved this problem for me. Corinna,
> can you please consider it?

Corinna tested and confirmed the patch and announced a new release
of inetutils at 13 Mar 2001 15:22:56 +0100

> I have applied it to inetutils. It works pretty good. I've just uploaded
> inetutils-1.3.2-11 to sourceware.

Morad Kalkoul reported that "it didn't work", and Keith Starsmeare
reported a similar problem, but neither of them appear to have tried
either the patch or the new release of inetutils.

Then at 13 Mar 2001 17:52:12 +0100, Morad Kalkoul reported the problem
again:

> Why trough a telnet session , the command 'ipconfig' runs correctly and the
> 'net start' command displays nothing. Both commands are native under NT4.

To which Chris Faylor responded

> Not all Windows commands work over a telnet session.  Sorry.

and Rui-Tao Dong at 13 Mar 2001 11:09:06 -0800 responded

> I figured this one out.  See my post yesterday about inetd and stdout.
> I think the right fix should be in inetd.  I just
> downloaded the inetd source and see if I produce a patch.

This appears to be one of the quickest bug-fix turnarounds I've
ever seen in a project like this (just over three hours from
bug report to release of a fixed version) but everyone seems to
be ignoring the fix! Have Morad Kalkoul or Keith Starsmeare tried
the new inetd? Is Rui-Tao Dong working on the same problem? Am
I totally misunderstanding what's going on?

Congratulations and thanks to Egor and Corinna for such a fast
fix and release - this is the sort of thing that provides good
ammunition when staid managers refuse to use open source software
because "there is no support".