Should I mount "/etc" as "binary"?

Malcolm Boekhoff Malcolm.Boekhoff@actfs.co.uk
Wed Mar 14 02:50:00 GMT 2001

When I type "zcat /etc/setup/ssmtp.lst.gz", I get the following output:

Wed Mar 14-10:50:09 / 536$ zcat /etc/setup/ssmtp.lst.gz
etc/ssmtp/
          etc/ssmtp/revaliases
                              usr/bin/ssmtp-config
                                                  usr/doc/Cygwin/ssmtp-2.38.7.README
                                                                                    usr/man/man8/ssmtp.8
                                                                                                        usr/sbin/ssmtp.exe

I.e. No conversion of line-feed to carriage-return/line-feed.

Should I change the mounts? They are currently set like this:

Wed Mar 14
-10:50:18 / 537$ mount
Device              Directory           Type         Flags
d:\cygwin\bin\strace.exe  /usr/bin/strace.exe  system       binmode,exec
d:\cygwin\bin\strace.exe  /bin/strace.exe     system       binmode,exec
d:\cygwin\bin       /usr/bin            system       textmode
d:\cygwin\lib       /usr/lib            system       textmode
e:\mcb\act          /home/boekhoff_m    user         textmode
d:\cygwin           /                   system       textmode
d:\temp             /tmp                system       textmode
\\.\a:              /dev/floppy         system       binmode
\\.\f:              /dev/cdrom          system       binmode
a:                  /a                  system       textmode
c:                  /c                  system       textmode
d:                  /d                  system       textmode
e:                  /e                  system       textmode
f:                  /f                  system       textmode
r:                  /r                  system       textmode
Wed Mar 14-10:50:21 / 538$