passwords

Corinna Vinschen cygwin@cygwin.com
Thu Mar 15 05:18:00 GMT 2001

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 01:48:12PM +0100, Jacek Trzcinski wrote:
> Hi !
> Thank You for advise. I answered with delay because suggestions covered
> in
> ssh packet do not work and I have traced Your discussion with Axel
> Kowald who seems to have the same problems as me. My last chance is to
> utilize advise of Michael Erdely to start sshd in SYSTEM context by
> srvany.exe. Until now
> I was starting sshd with bash command prompt. It is said to start sshd
> by inetd but I suppose inetd do not execute sshd when I try use ssh
> client on my local machine. I have proper line in inetd.conf but it does
> not work even if
> inetd realy starts as service.I suppose inetd deamon does not read
> inetd.conf
> at all because it starts as a service without any error messages despite
> of inetd.conf is present or not or if it has rubish inside. Where is
> mistake ?

You didn't set it up correctly. I don't know what your mistake is but
it sounds as if you did something basically wrong. You can't start
NT services which are in any way related to user logins without
some basic insight into the NT user management. I can only point you
again to the documentation. Please read it carefully. The problem is,
I really can't hold everybodies hand when installing these services.

Sorry if that sounds harsh. It isn't meant that way. You will have
to debug your problems. Use sshd -d and ssh -v options which will
give you important hints. Did you start ssh-*-config scripts? Did
you start iu-config for the inetutils? Did you check your passwd
file? Is your home directory correctly set up in /etc/passwd?
Etc. etc...

> Aha ! Where can I get srvany.exe ?

It's in the NT resource kit so you should get it on www.microsoft.com.

Corinna

> > Read /usr/doc/Cygwin/openssh-2.5.1p2.README.
> > Read /usr/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-1.3.2.README.
> > and  http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html
> > And read http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#PASSWD
> >
> > Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.