How to make Ghostscript 5.50 using native windows GUI

Robert Collins robert.collins@itdomain.com.au
Sun Mar 18 13:31:00 GMT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Markebo" <flognat@flognat.myip.org>
To: "Earnie Boyd" <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2001 5:27 AM
Subject: Re: How to make Ghostscript 5.50 using native windows GUI

> / Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]
> | >

> | I believe that there are commercial applications that do this, and
they
> | are typically bundled with an X server.  Uhm, Reflections is one
package
> | that comes to mind.  I'll allow the Win32 GUI server to serve the
> | application or it will allow you to use an X server to serve the
> | application.

I'm just being nit picky here, but Reflections has a Win32 based X
server, the Win32 Gui is simply what is uses to display. Think nested X
server for Unix.

> Most of the applications is to get xapplications to display from other
> hosts, of course they also can display x-applications running on the
> windows machine, but I haven't seen the X11-libs included.

Possibly statically linked.

> You know that there actually is works under the cygwin 'wings' to get
> the Xfree server to run under cygwin. The X-libraries are already
> ported.
>
>         /Andy

And here is the nit: It works under cygwin. It's nearly 100% functional
(it suffers some of the same limitations with respect to security that
all ports do). It doesn't work under windows 9x/98/ME however due to
problems with Microsoft's DirectX on those 16-bit kernels :]

Or were you referring to the current work to write a GDI based X-Server
not a DirectX X-Server?

Rob