Man Pages?

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) lhall@rfk.com
Mon Mar 19 11:56:00 GMT 2001

At 02:29 PM 3/19/2001, efficacy Last Name wrote:
>Hi,
>I'm new to cygwin. I just downloaded and set up cygwin from the net using setup.exe and followed the instructions of the user manual.
>
>When I try to find the man pages for grep I get the following error:

>/ $ man grep
>Warning: cannot open configuration file /usr/lib/man.conf
>/usr/bin/tbl: not found
>/usr/bin/groff: not found
>/usr/bin/less: not found
>Error executing formatting or display command.
>System command (cd /usr/man ; (echo -e ".pl 1100i"; cat /usr/man/man1/grep.1; ec
>ho ".pl \n(nlu+10") | /usr/bin/tbl | /usr/bin/groff -Tlatin1 -mandoc | /usr/bin/
>less -is) exited with status 32512.
>No manual entry for grep
>/ $
>
>There seems to be no man pages installed.

Perhaps, but that's easy enough to check and resolve.  More importantly,
it looks like you're not set up properly, since you can't find things like
tbl, groff, and less.  Whether you're man pages are installed or not, you're
going to have allot of trouble viewing them without these utilities.  My
guess is your installation didn't work completely or you skipped some
packages you shouldn't.  I suggest reinstalling and, if you still have
problems, send the output of cygcheck -s -r -v to the list.