Perl: Textmode vs. Binary mode...

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Wed Mar 21 05:29:00 GMT 2001


Mark Allan Young wrote:
> 
> if I open a open a file using the perl command:
> 
>      unless(open(CONFIG, "<$config")) {
>          print("Error: Can't open fglg file, \"$config\".\n");
>          exit(-1);
>      }
> 
> on a file system mounted with textmode:
> 
>     Device              Directory           Type         Flags
>     C:\cygwin\bin       /usr/bin            system       textmode
>     C:\cygwin\lib       /usr/lib            system       textmode
>     C:\cygwin           /                   system       textmode
> 
> should I expect the line read with perl command:
> 
>     while($line = <CONFIG>) {
> 
> to be terminated with a "\r\n" or just a "\n".  I assumed that I would
> get a "\n", but for some reason, after updating my cygwin today on one
> of my systems to 1.1.8, I started getting "\r\n".  I used to use a single
> "chop($line)" to get rid of the newline then process the remaining string
> as a filename...but now I have that nagging "\r" at the end of the string
> screwing everything up...
> 
> what part of this equation am I missing...
> 

The textmode mount produces files with \r\n line endings unless the
program specifically opens the file in or resets the fd to binary
processing mode.  The binmode mount produces files with \n line endings
unless the program specifically opens the file in or resets the fd to
text processing mode.

Earnie.

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com


--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple



More information about the Cygwin mailing list