When will cygwin ever be stable?

Andy Piper andyp@bea.com
Tue May 1 10:47:00 GMT 2001

Chris Faylor writes:
>What does "fairly broken" mean?  I'm aware of only one problem which I
>announced a fix for a couple of days ago.

It means that hitting C-c for anything but simple scenarios does not
interrupt the target process. My case is running java inside a shell script.

> >the headers change the whole time so that trying to maintain anything
> >that builds under cygwin is a complete nightmare.
>
>What does "the headers change the whole time" mean?  What specifically

It means that each time I install a new version of w32api or the mingw
one's I have to fix XEmacs compilation in some way or other.

>caused you problems?  Was it the move of headers to /usr/include/w32api?

That didn't help. My problem is not whether this was a good or bad thing to
do, but rather that it changed again (remember the move to the new headers
etc?)

>FWIW, the 1.3.1 release of Cygwin was a major release.  That's one of
>the reasons that we incremented the middle number.  We expected
>problems.  There are problems.  We'll be making a 1.3.2 release soon.

So what happened to the stable release in between? Was there a 1.2?

>Whether it fixes your problems or not is unknown at this point since I
>have no clear idea what your problems are.  Without specific feedback we
>can't fix specific problems, so your specific problems are not
>specifically fixed.  Perhaps you might want to try a snapshot.

I don't want to beta-test cygwin - I just want it to work. That's
fundamentally my issue. I suspect that you disagree with this and I suspect
that people feel the same way about XEmacs, but its my opinion and I'm
entitled to it :)

My top 3 bugs:

- C-c habitually breaks (i.e. does nothing)

- cygwin term does not handle scrollbacks properly (this worked once but
has been broken for ever), do this:
build something to generate lots of output and then hit C-c to interrupt,
scrollback through the screen buffer by dragging the scrollbar with the
mouse or using a mousewheel. Then type - the screen buffer will habitually
not scrollback down to the bottom but instead insert your typing in the
middle of the output.
[I see from trying to reproduce this reliably that it is somewhat random]

- headers moving and/or changing.

andy