Continued: small DOS program fails (Permission Denied) when run f rom Bash in XEmacs

David M. Karr dmkarr@earthlink.net
Wed May 2 19:07:00 GMT 2001

    Christopher> On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 10:22:30AM -0700, Karr, David wrote:
    >> This is a continuation of an earlier issue.  I have a small DOS program,
    >> compiled and linked with MS tools, which executes fine in a standalone
    >> "cmd" window, and in a standalone Bash window, and within GNU make in
    >> either window.  However, when the Bash shell is running in XEmacs, it
    >> fails with "Permission Denied".  I put a printf at the top of "main",
    >> and it isn't getting there.  I would really appreciate some help
    >> understanding what is going on here.
    >>
    >> I even tried printing "env" in the "good" and "bad" environments and
    >> manually setting (or unsetting) all the variables in the "bad"
    >> environment to match the "good" one, then rerunning it, but that didn't
    >> help.  However, there were two variables set in the "good" environment
    >> that I didn't set in the "bad" environment, because I didn't understand
    >> them.  They looked like this (straight from the "env" output):
    >>
    >> !C:=C:\WINNT\PROFILES\david.karr\DESKTOP !D:=D:\cygwin\bin
    >>
    >> What can I do to get any kind of clue of what is going on here?

    Christopher> Maybe some of the tools at www.sysinternals.com would help.  I
    Christopher> still suspect that you are not running the program that you
    Christopher> think you're running.

I've tried specifying both a relative and absolute path to the executable.  I'm
already using "filemon" from sysinternals, and it tells me next to nothing,
except for confirming I'm getting the correct executable.