hardware interrupt handlers

adam czaplinski adam.czaplinski@vision-fs.com
Wed May 2 22:43:00 GMT 2001

I am trying to port a couple of open source RTOSes into the GNU Cygwin
environment to provide a nice cross-development platform for embedded s/w
engineers. The problem I am facing right now is how to chain RTOSes timer
tick into the existing PC interrupt number 0x1C. This job is trivial when
working with Borland C compiler. There are getvect() and setvect() library
functions that do the whole job. Unfortunately, coming from the embedded s/w
world, I do not have enough understanding about the desktop PC environment
what makes my situation even worse. In addition some deep understanding of
Cygwin environment is also required. All I am aware of is that my
application is executing in the protected mode and threfore I do not have
permissions to access directly low level system services. I heard something
about DMPI host services that are provided by the Windows NT. The people
from the 'djgpp Delorie' society provided an extensive library of services
allowing to create an DMPI client and install interrupts on demand in their
GNU software package. However I would rather hate to give up my Cygwin
environment for the djgpp.

The question is wheter there are any system services provided in the Cygwin
development environment to allow installing interrupt handlers from within
protected mode thread of execution? If yes than where shall I look to find
for some examples how to do the job (I am alredy aware about djgpp
alternative)?

The environment I am working on is:
WinNT Ver4.0 build 1381 Service Pack 6

GNU bash, version 2.04.0(1)-release (i586-pc-cygwin)
gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release-2)
GNU assembler version 2.10.90 (i686-pc-cygwin) using BFD version 2.10.90
GNU ld version 2.10.90 (with BFD 2.10.90)

I would be extremely pleased if there is anyone who may help me to find a
solution.
Thanks,
adam.