May need a ghostscript maintainer

Norman Vine nhv@cape.com
Thu May 3 05:57:00 GMT 2001

Earnie Boyd writes:

>Norman Vine wrote:
>>

>> FYI
>> I just downloaded the ghostscript 7.0 source and for the heck of it
>> just tried the makefile linked from my page with out applying any of
>> the other fixes that I mention
>>
>> Lo and behold gs compiled and made pdf's of all the examples. :-))
>>
>> This was on a binary mounted drive so there may be a fopen bug
>> lurking somewhere but ....
>>
>> My question to the list is
>> "Should I submit my makefile to the ghostscript maintainers
>> for inclusion in the main ghostscript distribution as cygwin.mak"
>>

>Yuck!!  How about modifying the configure.in to do the right thing for
>Cygwin?!

Ghostscript does not use autoconf ect.
Ghostscript comes with a complicated set of makefiles
You get to choose the ones you want to use :-).

Er um well ok  ....
there is an all-arch.mak that should just work on Unix like systems
but it assumes 'X' .....

>> Then I believe to get a functional ghostscript one would only
>> need to unpack the tarball and do
>>
>> % ln -s src/cygwin.mak
>> % make
>>

>The reason I don't like this much is that it makes me too dependent on
>your configuration and I wouldn't do it by default because it's not the
>norm.

I believe this is the norm an is the 'approved' ghostscript 'way'

FYI in 'true' hacker style all I did to get this to work was
 1) start with the supplied unix-gcc.mak
 2) remove all 'X" references
 3) add appropriate references to Chucks jpeg png and zlib ports
 4) rename it cygwin.mak
 5) with Rob Collins help work around some then missing thread stuff
     < as of Cygwin 1.3 this is no longer necessary  :-)) >

Hopefully the 'official' porter of Ghostscript will get the library to build
as a DLL but in the interim I thought that this would obliviate the need
for a ghostscript package at all as this method just WORKS !!

Anyway since this appears to be controversial
I will NOT submit a patch to the ghostscript team
and remain content with my personal installation

Cheers

Norman Vine