getting rlogind to work with cygwin on NT

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) lhall@rfk.com
Thu May 3 15:49:00 GMT 2001

At 06:38 PM 5/3/2001, Mark Keil wrote:
>inline comments, and Thanks

My inetutils-1.3.2.README says:

The environment variable CYGWIN must be either set in the system
environment to be active from start on or you can set CYGWIN thru
the registry:
Under the key HKLM\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options
create a key of type REG_SZ (String) named like the full DOS path
to the application, eg. "C:\usr\bin\inetd.exe" and with the value
equal to the preferred CYGWIN settings, eg "binmode tty ntsec".

Did you just not read far enough or is yours different?  Are you up-to-date?

> > >  I put a copy of cygwin1.dll in /usr/sbin
> > >    (same affect as fixing path, the dll gets found)
> >
> > This is a VERY bad idea.  You'll forget about it later,
> > upgrade, and end
> > up with 2 DLLs on your system which WILL conflict.  Stick
> > with the recommended
> > approach if you want support from this list.  We can't debug
> > non-standard
> > installations.  There's just too many variables.
>
>Well, if just dies if it is not there.
>If I can get it to work at all than I will clean up,
>but at the moment this is the least of my problems.

If it just dies then that says to me that your installation is bad.  Go
to www.cygwin.com and clicck on "Install Now" to run setup and get a
proper installation and configuration.  You'll have better luck if you
have everything you need and have it where its needed.