Severe socket problems with cygwin running

Barubary barubary@home.com
Fri May 11 20:12:00 GMT 2001

Whenever I run a Cygwin program, all other programs on the computer using
sockets either crash or give the errors "Cannot create socket" or "No buffer
space available".  Winamp stops playing music.  Task Manager can't connect
to the process list server, so the list of processes is blank.  When I exit
bash after running man (IE, this is probably a fork() glitch), it says
"logout" and just hangs.  I can't terminate the process because Task Manager
doesn't show the list of processes.  The only way out of the situation is to
log off.  Fortunately, once WINLOGON.EXE forces the remaining processes to
terminate, socket functionality is restored.

I'm running cygwin 1.1.4 under Windows 2000 SP1.  1.3.0 was causing
corruption to files opened read-only in 2 particular programs; moreover, it
didn't do anything about the problem.

Other related things:
- GCC always fails, saying it can't create a file because of lack of space
on a 30 gig free drive.  /tmp also resides on this same drive.
- man crashes with an exception when exiting because it tried to write to
*NULL.  IP is clearly inside cygwin1.dll when this happens.