I like the search keys, thanks, RE: How do you print under cygwin on w2k?

Mark Keil Mark.Keil@cportcorp.com
Thu May 24 15:54:00 GMT 2001

Its just that many people go looking for a FAQ first
and then ask questions on a/the list if it isn't in the FAQ.

If the FAQ had an entry like:

Q. This FAQ doesn't answer/fully answer my question.
   Where can I find the answer or more background information?

A. The following search strings will give you the background
   on several subjects before you ask questions, or can act
   as a basis for your own background searches.
   These search patterns use the Cygwin mail archives at
   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/

   cygwin1.dll: http://www.google.com/search?q=cygwin.dll+site%3Acygwin.com
   printing: http://www.google.com/search?q=print+site%3Acygwin.com
   inetd:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=inetd+service+site%3Acygwi
n.com
   win32 & make: http://www.google.com/search?q=make+win32+site%3Acygwin.com
   ksh:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=ksh+site%3Acygwin.com
   cygdrive: http://www.google.com/search?q=cygwin+%2Bcygdrive
   cygwin & emacs
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=Cygwin+%2B+emacs

   YOUR-SUBJECT:
http://www.google.com/search?q=YOUR-SUBJECT+site%3Acygwin.com

And there must be other common subjects that that should be on this list

then people would have an immediate option to delve deeper before
asking more on the list.
Of course not everybody reads FAQs, or will act on such information.
But this could help some users form better questions.

If this stuff were on a seperate page that might also be good,
but may not be seen by as many people, though there could be a pointer
to this in the FAQ. In any case, having a list of this sort
might improve the quantity and quality of questions to the list.

Credit goes to Earnie for most of the above strings.

-Mark

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/
>      or use your favorite search engine (i.e. www.google.com) to search
the
>      net.
>
>In terms of the issue about printing and the absence of lp/lpr, I suggest
>adding a specific entry here that provides some of the alternatives that
>have been mentioned in the email archives (i.e. bash aliases, script files,
>DOSisms, batch files).  Just my $.02.

I agree with this.  The FAQ should contain answers to questions, where
possible,
not pointers to potential answers for questions.

cgf