Cygwin Setup 2.54

Travis Howell kirben@optushome.com.au
Sun May 27 18:02:00 GMT 2001

> > I had downloaded all the Cygwin setup binary tarballs to
> > just one directory and launched setup from there. The reason I choose to
> > reinstall was all the Cygwin setup binary tarballs showed up as new
again.

> Did you do setup to do the Download from the internet or did you track
down the
> tarballs on your own.  The reason I ask is because on my system each of
the
> package tarballs ends up in its own subdirectory below there directory I
tell
> setup to store them in.

I tracked down the Cygwin setup tarballs myself and put them all in one
directory together with Cygwin setup

> > The reason I choose to
> > reinstall was all the Cygwin setup binary tarballs showed up as new
again.

> This happens because they are not showing up in the directory where they
are
> supposed to live, ie if you look at the setup.ini file you will see each
> package say it live in either contrib or latest and then below that the
name of
> the package and then the tar ball.  Setup read setup.ini and this tells it
> where to look for the files.  In an attempt to make the new version easier
for
> those you don't use it much, it was modified so that during a
download/partial
> list display it shows you only the files that need updating and do not
exist on
> disk already (in the above mentioned path structure).  When you do an
install
> from local directory it only shows you the packages which need updating
and do
> exist on disk.  So if you do not have the tarballs in the correct
directories
> (as I inquired above) they will all show as new again.

OK I see now that the Cygwin setup method I usually used is no longer
supported.

> > The method installed into a random directory name (file then openssh) in
the
> > directory where the Cygwin binaries tarballs are, even though I always
> > choose C:\Cygwin\.
>
> This I'm not sure about yet because of the points mentioned above but I
would
> like to ask what is your normal root selection and download directory
> selection.  You mention C:\Cygwin - but please expand on this.

Download directory was C:\Files\ and normal root/installation directory was
always C:\Cygwin\
But Cygwin setup 2.56 has already fixed this problem

> > Setup again after an
> > installation and choose to show all packages, not all of the installled
> > packages offer an uninstall option.
>
> Were they installed - the far left side of the chooser window shows the
current
> version - if there is a version listed - it should have an uninstall - if
there
> is no version listed then no uninstall and also no keep option will
display as
> well.

OK judging by previous comments this is also due to the installation method
I use been no longer supported too. Since this problem also doesn't occur
when I use the Download and Install from Internet option of Cygwin setup.