[ANNOUNCEMENT] New on sourceware: xpm-nox-4.0.3-1 (replaces xpm-4.0.0-2)

Norman Vine nhv@cape.com
Mon May 28 15:53:00 GMT 2001

Charles S. Wilson writes:

>Therefore, I have
>repackaged xpm and renamed the package 'xpm-nox'.  The 'xpm' package is
>now DEPRECATED, and should be removed from your system BEFORE installing
>the new 'xpm-nox' package (see the removal procedure below).
>
>The new 'xpm-nox' package contains only the X11FREE versions of the xpm
>library.  The header files are now located in
>/usr/include/noX/, and the
>import/static libs are now located in /usr/lib/noX/.
>
>This means that in order to link against the non-X-based Xpm libraries,
>you must
>  a) compile using '-I/usr/include/noX'
>  b) compile with the '-DXPM_NO_X' flag
>  c) link using '-L/usr/lib/noX'
>In some cases, for instance 'configure'-based packages, you have to do
>it this way:
>  CFLAGS="-I/usr/include/noX -DXPM_NO_X" LDFLAGS=-L/usr/lib/noX
>./configure

If it has to be it has to be but ...
I find this rather ugly.

Isn't there another way

ie it would make more sense to me < albeit a non X11 user >
to have special 'X11' include and lib directories added to the front
of the normal include and lib paths when compiling X11 applications.

This should allow for transparent compilation of packages in both
X11 and Win32 mode.

Cheers

Norman